Thanks for organizing a Startup Experience program!
We are very excited to work with you and we want to help make the planning process as smooth as possible. On this page you can find all the information you need to run a successful event, if you have any questions please reach out any time at [email protected].
Here is a 1-page printable checklist summarizing everything below.
We generally recommend team sizes of 3-6 people per team. You can either create the teams in advance or we can form them at the beginning of the workshop (most common).
We highly recommend inviting a number mentors who can help the teams throughout the workshop. Ideally the mentors have a lot of relevant experience as entrepreneurs/investors. It’s always great to invite successful alumni who can share stories from their startup journeys and bond with the students.
The ideal ratio is 1 mentor per 10 students (each mentor can mentor 1 or 2 teams).
You can find more info about the role of mentors here: www.startupexperience.com/mentor
SHARK TANK PANEL
The last activity on the second day of the Startup Experience is a pitch session where all the teams get to present. We recommend you invite 3-4 highly experienced entrepreneurs/investors to be part of a “Shark Tank” type feedback panel who will give feedback and offer suggestions to the teams as well as choose the winning team(s) *if you want to make the program into a competition.
The ideal room is set up in a way where all participants can sit at a table with their teammates, everyone can see the screen, and the presenter has room to move around between the tables. If possible choose a room with windows for better lighting.
- One table per team
- 4-6 chairs per table
- Big TV or a screen + projector (connection through VGA or HMDI) *our facilitator brings his/her own laptop with mac converters.
- Speaker system that can connect to the laptop (mini jack/HDMI)
- Wearable hands-free microphone for the facilitator (Lapel / Over the ear)
- 2 hand held microphones (only for larger group sizes (30+))
- Wifi internet access (quick login for all participants and facilitators)
- 1 block of sticky notes per participant (we need a lot!)
- 200 sheets of blank paper
- Free standing poster easels or flip chart (1 per team)
- Gifts for judges/guest speakers/mentors
- Prizes for the team(s) with the best pitch (for example gift cards, movie tickets or a free lunch with a prominent local entrepreneur)
Prototyping materials for day 2 (optional, not always used)
- Large pieces of cardboard
- Tin foil
- Colored paper